After the Labor Day weekend, the Colts continued preparing for life without Peyton Manning … probably … short-term. It looks for all the world that #18 will miss the season opener in Houston on Sunday, but I reserve the right to hope for a Houdini act. While many in the Colts organization spent Tuesday trying to locate Mr. Miyagi, the other three or four folks concentrated on prepping for the Texans. Here are some notes about events that really did happen yesterday.
- Will Carroll reported that Anthony Gonzalez won’t play on Sunday and Austin Collie is iffy. At least there won’t be a falloff from their recent production.
- Kerry Collins unfollowed Carroll, saying that @InjuryExpert is a downer.
- The Colts removed RB Chad Spann from IR, making him a free agent.
- The unofficial depth chart for Week 1 hit the wire, with Delone Carter listed as second-string RB and Jerry Hughes as THIRD-string DE.
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told the national media that he would have suspended Jim Tressel if the Colts hadn’t beat him to it. Goodell also had designs on an an early Internet prototype before Al Gore stole his thunder.
- The Colts added WR Chris Brooks and QB Mike Hartline to their practice squad.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars released QB David Garrard.
- Some Colts “fans” made a fuss about how the team should sign Garrard and start him. Seriously. Sadly.