Thursday was a period of decompression and digestion after the upheaval of Kerry Collins’ signing on Wednesday. While fans continued to speculate on what this all means for Peyton Manning in regard to the September 11 season opener in Houston, Indianapolis got more run in the national sports media than Zola Budd in bare feet. Meanwhile, the Colts prepared for their next pre-season game, at home tonight against the Green Bay Packers. On with the bullet points …
- The Indianapolis Star confirmed that Austin Collie is testing a helmet made by racing safety guru Bill Simpson. The new model apparently cannot protect feet.
- Mike Chappell, also with the Star, reported that both Ernie Sims and Jamaal Anderson, free agent signings this summer, will see some action against the Pack.
- Missing practice yesterday were Austin Collie, Antoine Bethea, Cody Glenn, Gary Brackett, Anthony Gonzalez and Mike McNeill.
- Colts.com posted an article, by Craig Kelley, detailing players’ reactions to Collins’ arrival. Surprisingly, the piece contained no word from wide receiver Reggie Wayne. Hmmmm.
- The Packers stand as nine-point favorites for the game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Friday night. You know, in case you’re interested in such matters.
- The first roster cut, from 90 players to 80, happens next Tuesday.