On Monday, the Colts moved into the first week of training camp in which they had an actual game to prepare for. That’s right, Indy fans, the first pre-season game is Saturday, August 13, on the road against the St. Louis Rams. To prepare for that tilt, the Colts kicked off the week with two practices, though the afternoon session was for special teams work only. Here are the highlights, and lowlights, from the day.
- LB Ernie Sims will be out for two weeks after a weekend appendectomy.
- Jeff Saturday got a few more snaps but is till easing back into the grind.
- LB Kavell Conner was back in practice after banging up his pinkie last week.
- OL Jamey Richard left morning practice with an undisclosed injury. WR Joe Horn did, too.
- A bunch of guys sat out morning practice, including Peyton Manning, who is still PUP. Potentially alarming name among the inactives: Dwight Freeney.
- Jeff Linkenbach(!) remains as the apparent starter at LT.
- C Jake Kirkpatrick looking strong in camp. At this early juncture, I like him as Saturday’s eventual replacement.
- QB Nate Davis returned to camp after missing weekend activities to attend his grandfather’s funeral.