That’s my question to you all…Does Coach Dungy deserve the Coach of the Year across the board? In fact, go ahead and rank your own TOP 5 Coaches list…
My vote goes something like this:
1. Tony Dungy (Colts) – Yes, so I’m a bit partial here, but not only is he a defensive genius, but he somehow tempered a massively talented young QB into a Super Bowl champion and built an entire defense that could stand tough against the toughest of offenses. This is the Coach of the Year with many more to come!
2. Romeo Crennel (Browns) – Granted, no one truly knows how or why the Browns finally came into the NFL other than something resembling a punching bag, but one thing is for sure: Romeo has created a playoff caliber and, down the line, a potentially Super Bowl-bound team.
3. Bill Belichik (Patriots) – Personally, I think he’s arrogant, rude and hates the world for calling him out on his own mistakes – oh and did I mention that he lacks all sorts of class on the field? – but this man can coach. He knows the game and he knows it very well. He’s also done his own tempering of talented mavericks in south Boston so I grudgingly must give credit where credit’s due.
4. Mike McCarthy (Packers) – Did he have a talk with Brett or did Brett have a talk with him? Something happened in Lambeau during the offseason and it’s making this head coach look like a Frozen Tundra Saint! His true potential will come after Brett retires in 25 years or so, but until then the Packers are hot and, if you ask me, Super Bowl-bound.
5. Wade Phillips (Cowboys) – Yeah, I put Wade Phillips in this lineup. He’s down to No. 5 on the list no matter how good Dallas does, because, technically, he didn’t create this team. Most of these guys were there before he got there and it’s not like they needed much coaching…the talent needed little tempering, just time to coelesce and Wade just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Let’s hear your answers! Who do you think are the Top 5 coaches in the NFL this year (in order)???